Not Sleeping Well? It May Be Your Mouth.
Everyone wants a good night’s rest. But not everyone gets it. In fact, some people have nighttime habits and disorders that harm both their health and their teeth! Two of the primary sleep disorders we see at our Mobile, Fairhope, Bay Minette, Helena, and Semmes dental practices are snoring or sleep apnea and bruxism (clenching and grinding).
Protect your health by keeping an eye on yourself for these signs and symptoms:
Bruxism (Grinding and Clenching)
- Sore jaws or teeth, especially during times of stress
- Headache or facial soreness
- Worn, flattened, or shortened teeth
- Chips, cracks, or hairline fractures
- Chips at the gumline that may look and feel like gum recession
- Increased sensitivity to hot, cold, or sweet food and drink
- Unexplained earaches
- Sores on the inside of your cheek or ridges on the sides of your tongue
- Gum disease
Snoring/ Sleep Apnea
- Frequent silences during sleep due to breaks in breathing (apnea)
- Choking or gasping during sleep to get air into the lungs
- Loud snoring
- Sudden awakenings to restart breathing or waking up in a sweat
- Daytime sleepiness and feeling unrefreshed by a night’s sleep, including falling asleep at inappropriate times
If you have any of these symptoms, contact our dental practice in Mobile, Fairhope, Bay Minette, Helena, or Semmes or your physician right away.
Neither of these disorders are to be taken lightly. Bruxism can lead to expensive tooth damage, premature aging of the facial features, migraines, gum disease, and TMJ disorder.
Sleep apnea has been associated with everything from memory loss to strokes and sudden death. In addition, snoring and sleep apnea can cause dry mouth, and that can have severe effects on your teeth as well. People who suffer from dry mouth are more prone to cavities and tooth and other oral infections. Why? Your saliva is an important part of your dental health and works to cleanse, rinse, and neutralize acids!
For more information about bruxism, sleep apnea, or snoring, and what we can do to help solve these issues, please give us a call. We’ll talk to you about your options to correct snoring, sleep apnea, or bruxism because we believe our friends and neighbors deserve a restful –and safe–night’s sleep.
Accepting patients from Mobile, Fairhope, Bay Minette, Helena, and Semmes.