Dental Emergency Tips from Your Birmingham Dentist
Trust Northcutt Dental to Get You Out of Pain FAST!
We see a lot of dental emergencies at our Northcutt Dental offices in Cottage Hill, Bay Minette, Semmes, Fairhope, Helena, and Hoover. So, we thought we’d take a moment and go over some tips to help our neighbors and patients get to know more about what a dental emergency is and offer up some suggestions you can use to feel better until you see the dentist.
First Things First – Call Your Birmingham Area Dentist Right Away!
Dental emergencies happen for a variety of reasons but no matter what the cause, it’s essential that you see your dentist as soon as possible. Any Northcutt Dental office in the Birmingham and Baldwin County areas will help a patient of record during any dental emergency. Just call whatever Northcutt office you’re closest to if you’re not at home. We’re always ready and happy to help you feel better. We understand that with the unexpected comes anxiety, confusion, and pain. Trust our famously friendly family dentistry to help you and your smile heal quickly and comfortably.
Four Important Things You Can Do at Home For Common Dental Emergencies
Life happens, and sometimes it leads to a knocked out or broken tooth that needs attention from your Northcutt dentist ASAP. If you’re unable to see the dentist immediately, there are a few useful things you can do at home to treat these common dental emergencies:
1) A Chipped or Broken Tooth – If you can, try to find any part of the tooth that was broken off and give it a rinse in some water after rinsing out your mouth as well. If your mouth is swollen or bleeding due to trauma, please make sure to apply pressure with clean gauze and use a cold compress to reduce inflammation.
2) A Toothache – Pain is a sign that there’s definitely something is wrong with your tooth, so you’ll want to see your neighborhood Northcutt dentist at the first sign of any oral discomfort. If pain strikes and you need relief right away you should:
– Rinse your mouth with warm water
– Try flossing to remove any possible debris
– Use an ice pack to reduce swelling if necessary
– Take a pain reliever (Never put an aspirin directly on your gums or teeth)
3) A Lost Filling – We understand that losing a filling is no fun. If you’re unable to see the dentist right away, one of the best things you can do is fill in the gap with a temporary solution. Most drug and chain stores sell something called dental cement that can be used to replace your missing filling until you get to the dentist. If you need something in a pinch, you can always use sugarless gum.
4) A Knocked Out Tooth – If your tooth gets knocked loose, it’s important to act quickly to save the missing tooth! In fact, if you can get the tooth back in the socket within one hour there’s a higher chance it’s going to be OK. If you’re able to find the tooth, pick it up gently and be sure to avoid touching the roots, if possible. If you’re at home, you can put the tooth in a glass of milk until you get to the dentist. If that’s not an option, you can always store it under your tongue with a little saliva until you make it to your Northcutt dentist’s office.
We hope you and your family never have to experience any dental or medical emergency. But in the event of a dental problem like the ones we’ve discussed here, we can’t stress enough how important it is to call your neighborhood Northcutt Dental office right away. Remember, even if you’re not close to the office you usually go to, we’ll see existing patients at any of our six famously friendly family dental offices across greater Birmingham.
If you’re looking for a new dentist, experiencing a dental emergency, or are new to our area, please make an appointment at one of our Birmingham dental offices. We’re all about keeping smiles healthy and helping patients and their smiles feel and look their very best. Experience the Northcutt Dental difference for yourself!